Running stereotypes…the good, the bad, and the ugly. Let’s hear them and I’ll even go so far as to own up to the ones I’m guilty of.
1) Wearing sweats or workout gear like they are ‘normal’ clothes.
(I do want it to be known I DO own ‘normal people clothes’ and have been known to actually wear them!)
2) Having far too much of your income being spent on food.
Guilty…I go through sleeves of bagels and english muffins.
3) Talking about GI issues like they are regular conversational topics.
What, you don’t all discuss the less than stellar pit-stop points on a particular route over lunch too? Also, love this poster that was up on SkinnyRunner:
4) You can tell how experienced a runner is by what they are wearing.
*Frosh year of high school: boys wearing boxer shorts and long basketball shorts
*Soph year: boy ditches boxers but still clings to longer shorts
*Jr year: boy caves to short shorts but swears on his life he’ll never don running tights
*Sr year: boy is wearing running tights
5) Runners are secretly constantly comparing their times/paces to the ones they hear any celebrity doing. They either laugh or respect the celebrity accordingly.
Totally guilty! I read that Jennifer Aniston said she runs on the treadmill at 6mph (10 min/pace) and I knew I could take her. I later read that Ryan Reynolds ran a 3:50 marathon and was impressed, I mean not too shabby for an actor. This was around the time he was dating Scarlett Johansen and she was seen running in the Vibrams…I disliked her even more. (PS-I just outed myself as a celeb rag reader…opps!)
6) Runners will have odd tan lines.
Guilty of the watch and sock tan at times…watch one comes with the territory.
7) A person running on the street is just asking to have some idiot shout at them from cars or have random items thrown at them.
FALLACY!!! Don’t get me started, I’ve had a half-ful water-bottle hit me and my mom got a mini-pumpkin to the throat one Halloween…not funny.
8) Anyone who runs obviously is training for a marathon.
Bwahaha…I love how disappointed people get when they find out I’ve not run a marathon and they look at me like I’m not a real runner and parading around trying to be one. I thing the marathon is awesome (duh, I was a little Oly Trials obsessed) but it’s not the ONLY event! hehe
9) All runners love pasta.
I actually don’t…call me a weirdo but I’m not a big Italian food fan unless it starts with a P and ends with an -Izza…OR it’s garlic bread.
10) Fast runners wear sunglasses.
Hit an miss, but I will say that Kara Goucher was rocking the shades at the Trials.
That’s it for today folks! I’d also like to give a shout out to Fabs @FabianBuchheimon Twitter for giving me some ideas!
Have to keep it short, but I’m working on some fun new surprises here, so stay tuned! Also, if you haven’t checked it out, I’ve got an article up on Competitor about treadmill training…fun workout ideas and tips on how to maximize your indoor runs!
Questions for you runners!
1) What are some running stereotypes and are you guilty of them?
2) Have you ever had something thrown at you while running?
3) Worst mistake you’ve ever made in opting for running attire?
4) Are you a big pasta fan? If not, what’s your favorite kind of food and do you have a night before race dinner like to have?
Mexican food…maybe the burritos give me a little more get-up and go. 😛